Talk:Call for Participation
I miss the Birds of a feather - Open Discussion here. Do we categorize that under workshops? :S (Open Space is something else I think...) Effeietsanders 15:41, 28 January 2008 (UTC)
Plans for hacking days an not concrete enough to get published. The draft text was:
- Before the main conference there will also be informal Hacking days for MediaWiki developers who are familiar with the software, If you are interested in joining it, please visit:
-- Nichtich 19:15, 30 January 2008 (UTC)
The "important dates" section is messed up!!
probably it was copied from Wikimania 2007.. Anyway, check the "important dates" section it says that the event "will be" last year =D..
- February – 16 March : Submission
- 17 March – 30 April : Review, feedback and notification of acceptance
- 17 – 19 July 2007 : Wikimania
--M.shady 22:14, 4 February 2008 (UTC)
- thanks, this has been changed. --Markie 23:08, 4 February 2008 (UTC)
Query on "scientific track"
1) Does "scientific track" really mean "academic track"? I would like to submit an academic paper on collaborative writing on wikipedia. Would this be acceptable?
- yes, it's an academic track with acedemic standards. -- Nichtich 15:36, 23 February 2008 (UTC)
2) Also, in literary criticism, at least, it is very unusual to submit entire papers to a conference for consideration. Usually just the abstracts are considered. I am correct in reading this CFP that we must submit the entire paper for consideration? I wonder if this might discourage some academics in the humanities, many of whom write their papers after their abstracts have been accepted. For example, I have less time to write the paper now, while I am teaching, than I would during the summer. Awadewit 16:53, 13 February 2008 (UTC)
- The habbits differ a lot among scientific communities. I think if the abstract is convicing, it will be ok to submit it. -- Nichtich 15:05, 23 February 2008 (UTC)
- Thank you. As I am currently conceiving the project, I cannot finish my data collection in two weeks. Awadewit 18:40, 29 February 2008 (UTC)
Distribution of the CfP
See http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Call_for_Participation/distribution for last year's distribution.
- I asked Wikimedia France, Italy, Israel, Netherlands to (re)distribute the CfP in their local communities. They should know best how to inform them. -- Nichtich 23:33, 24 February 2008 (UTC)
What, exactly, is the purpose for Wikimania?
- You might want to take a look at some articles on Wikimania, for example the English Wikipedia one and the Meta-Wiki one. Wikimania is basically a place for Wikimedians to get together, give talks (somethings meetings as well), share research, meet each other, and have a good time. Cbrown1023 talk 15:57, 10 March 2008 (UTC)
- Cool. NuttyGorilla 18:06, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
I'm annoyed and offended submissions have to be in English. What kind of global event is this? This should be changed. Shocking and sad. 184.108.40.206 13:43, 9 March 2008 (UTC)
- I'm a native English speaker with hardly any other languages, but agree that the restriction to English-language submissions is limiting. Dsp13 03:32, 10 March 2008 (UTC)
Can anyone tell me where the information for actors information on line comes from? My fathers, Bill Edwards; television and film actors, personal information is 99.9% WRONG. His birth is wrong, his death date is wrong. In fact the only thing right is that he did play the State Rep for Hawaii in Hawaii 5-O. (I was raised in Hawaii on Oahu). But other than that, there is nothing accurate. I am his only natural child though he raised my 2 elder (half)sisters and a younger step brother. How do I go about correcting and inputting with correct information his bio? He was in many, many films and telelvision shows as well as plays, etc... Thank You for your aid. signed; Bills daugther. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs) 18:20, 13 Mar 2008 (UTC)
- I think you are in the wrong place, try asking on the talk page of the Wikipedia article in question. Cbrown1023 talk 20:29, 13 March 2008 (UTC)
- None of the ideas is wrong. I understand that the proposals should be in English, as global and universal language. Even so, it could give some seminars in other languages, on certain topics, or present the data and conclusions in other languages. This could give a more global character and could help in the initiative of many people. You could even plan a thing as "Cultural Day" and would'nt be a bad thing. There are not critices or anything, and let's if you understand my idea.
It is currently 2:03 P.M. on Sunday March 16. Am I too late? NuttyGorilla 18:05, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
- Not yet, you have until 23:59 UTC. --Az1568 18:11, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
:Phew, BUT NOW I'M having problems. LOOK BELOW! OH, NO! NuttyGorilla 18:12, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
I am having problems with "Pentabarf". Please help. This is what comes up:
"ERROR: relation "log.log_transaction_involved_tables" does not exist CONTEXT: SQL statement "INSERT INTO log.log_transaction_involved_tables( log_transaction_id, table_name ) VALUES ( currval('base.log_transaction_log_transaction_id_seq'), 'account_activation')" PL/pgSQL function "account_activation_log_function" line 17 at SQL statement SQL statement "INSERT INTO auth.account_activation(account_id, activation_string, conference_id) VALUES ( $1 , $2 , CASE WHEN $3 = 0 THEN NULL ELSE $3 END)" PL/pgSQL function "create_account" line 15 at SQL statement : SELECT create_account FROM auth.create_account(E'nuttygorilla',Eemail@example.com',E'ng17nut',E'53FCAA7DCFC8D6FBC1553681FAAFBD66CA70674D463F238075D0C8B1C9511D77','1');
Pentabarf Meditation has been interrupted by worries."
Again, Please help. P.S. I don't care what info is given here, just HELP! NuttyGorilla 18:09, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
- One last thing. I WAN'T TO BE ON TIME, SO, BE QUICK ABOUT IT! NuttyGorilla 18:11, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
- I've talked with a few users about that issue, we'll try to get it fixed asap. --Az1568 18:18, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks for reporting. Please everybody make sure for now you copy your text in a notepad-file or something locally, just in case submission goes wrong (if saving fails, that you will not have lost all text, would be sad). Thanks. Effeietsanders 18:41, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
I submitted my proposal!
https://wikimedia.pentabarf.org/submission/wikimania2008/events NuttyGorilla 20:14, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
- Did I do it right?NuttyGorilla 23:15, 17 March 2008 (UTC)
The call for submission page doesnt work for me
The pentabarf page - when trying to create a new account is throwing some XML script instead.
- Sorry but your error description is not very useful. Which browser do you use? Have you tried restarting it? What does the error message say? Have you tried to create another account with different user name?... -- Nichtich 15:21, 18 March 2008 (UTC)
I'm also having trouble with the pentabarf site. I get the registration activation email, but when I go to the site and click on Person, New Event or Events, I just get a blank page in response. I've tried re-registering with a different name, using Firefox 2 & 3 and IE 7 and 8 (on Windows XP). Very frustrating, because today is the last day for submissions! Is there some other way to submit? Samdutton 08:15, 19 March 2008 (UTC)
I just tried the https://firstname.lastname@example.org/submission/wikimania2008 method, but that didn't work either. Is there some other way to submit? 18.104.22.168 08:58, 19 March 2008 (UTC)