Wikimania 2008 Alexandria :: Change the shape of wisdom
Jump to navigation Jump to search
[20:24:25] <TheLetterE> ========= begin logging =========
[20:24:27] <Mido> == begin logging ==
[20:24:35] <Mido> ;)
[20:24:49] <Mido> Thanks everyone for attending
[20:25:01] <kibble> ===	#wikimania2008: Mido britty_ heikopp Simonfj root-80686 shipmaster nichtich al_tally Tarawneh Moushira effeietsanders sebmol Markie996_ kibble Greeves|away schiste_ Wikilinker fajro_ TheLetterE Az1568 Warpath CraigSpurrier_aw Danny_B tcliou_ Austin @ChanServ
[20:25:04] <kibble> all the people here ;-)
[20:25:17] <Mido> As for the first point on the agenda, Graphics
[20:25:57] <Mido> we need to be marketing Wikimania, as so, we need a good campaign online
[20:26:23] <Mido> people are already asking for banners to put on their blogs
[20:26:39] <Mido> anyone here have Graphic experience or want to join this team?
[20:26:50] <kibble> we have some :
[20:26:53] <Tarawneh> count me in
[20:26:56] <al_tally> is Miranda here??? :D
[20:27:10] ChanServ [ChanServ@services.] has set channel mode +g
[20:27:13] <Tarawneh> I will make a few banners
[20:27:23] Miranda [n=Miranda@wikimedia/Miranda] has joined #wikimania2008
[20:27:27] <kibble> Miranda: :-)
[20:27:29] <Miranda> hi
[20:27:35] <kibble> we're talking about graphics, and al_tally suggested we invite you
[20:27:43] <Mido> that would be a start but we need more :)
[20:27:53] <Mido> esp. vertical ones
[20:28:08] <britty_> miranda!
[20:28:10] <Mido> and the color theme of the site
[20:28:21] <Miranda> hi
[20:28:22] <effeietsanders> do we stick with the red-and-blue?
[20:28:25] <effeietsanders> i guess so hae?
[20:28:33] <Miranda> well we have ads on the page right?
[20:28:38] <Miranda> and those ads are like really hard to make
[20:28:55] <britty_> ads on the page??
[20:28:56] <Mido> well, that would be cool, but I think we can have more variations
[20:29:10] <effeietsanders> ads or "sponsorship notices"?
[20:29:18] <Mido> we need simple ones, just an Idea
[20:29:23] <britty_> hmm but we rarely put such on every page
[20:29:24] <Mido> ads as in Banners I guess
[20:29:29] <britty_> just on sponsor pages only
[20:29:56] <Mido> and one for the call for participation would be nice too
[20:30:15] <effeietsanders> a nice sitenotice banner would be cool too
[20:30:18] <Mido> can we make a quick list of what need
[20:30:22] <effeietsanders> for communities that wish to place that
[20:30:36] <britty_> Mido, just make it on wiki and c&p here or give us a link
[20:30:44] <Mido> good, more?
[20:30:45] <effeietsanders> i could imagine a sitenotice for arwiki for example?
[20:31:11] <effeietsanders> furthermore we need posters?
[20:31:17] <Miranda> I mean the last time I made banners for commons, no one used them
[20:31:17] <effeietsanders> for irl-adverts?
[20:32:32] <Mido> Miranda: for what exactly, wikimania?
[20:32:47] <Miranda> no for the commons fundraiser drive
[20:32:59] <effeietsanders> Mido: are you planning a lot of advertizing irl on universities etc? ie do you need the posters, or also leaflets maybe?
[20:32:59] ~britty_ uses miranda's wq banner still now!
[20:33:05] <Mido>
[20:33:34] <Mido> leaflet will be perfect
[20:33:47] <effeietsanders> and a well layouted explanation of what wikimania is would be usefull for attracting sponsors i assume?
[20:33:52] <Miranda> ah ok
[20:33:57] <Miranda> well let me think b/c I am busy
[20:34:01] <Mido> we need to give people materials in hands after session, leave it somewhere to distirbute, etc..
[20:34:14] <britty_> mido : i added one
[20:34:16] <Miranda> I don't want do do translations again
[20:34:21] <Mido> eia, that would be great
[20:34:22] <effeietsanders> Mido: for on wikimania itself or before?
[20:34:29] <Mido> before
[20:34:32] <effeietsanders> ok
[20:34:44] <effeietsanders> i think what we need is a time schedule?
[20:34:47] <effeietsanders> when do we need what
[20:34:54] <Miranda> but if anyone uses gimp I will make a base file...
[20:35:06] <~Moushira> guys, I think I will be excused, sorry am very tired. Mido already got all my updates and he knows my questions..!! See you later.
[20:35:14] <Miranda> and someone else can modify for translations
[20:35:26] <effeietsanders> Miranda: i think that sounds fair
[20:35:39] <Miranda> yeah just tell me what you want on my talk page
[20:35:40] <effeietsanders> Miranda: as long as you can make sure it works both rtl and ltr?
[20:35:51] <Miranda> like text etc.
[20:35:51] <Miranda> yes it can
[20:36:02] heikopp [] has left #wikimania2008
[20:36:22] Ma7dy [n=chatzill@] has joined #wikimania2008
[20:36:33] <shipmaster> hey ma7dy
[20:36:36] <effeietsanders> maybe it's usefull to have someone coordinating this
[20:36:37] Moushira [n=Moushira@] has quit IRC: "Leaving"
[20:36:44] <Mido> Miranda: we can change it afterwards, just make the English one :)
[20:36:51] <effeietsanders> ie be the line between miranda and the team and the translators
[20:36:54] <~Ma7dy> hi every one
[20:37:02] <~Ma7dy> I got in a traffic jam
[20:37:09] <Miranda> ok
[20:37:09] <~Ma7dy> we won a cup
[20:37:21] <Miranda> I mean what text do you want me to have on the banner?
[20:37:29] <Miranda> size as well?
[20:37:30] <Mido> here, we have 4 members in the graphic team, plus me if I had time!
[20:37:50] <effeietsanders> Mido: ah, great
[20:37:52] Mirette [n=Mirette@] has joined #wikimania2008
[20:37:52] <Mido> we can set up a wiki page to coordinate this
[20:37:58] <effeietsanders> just make one of them contact maybe? :)
[20:38:03] <Miranda> ah coolio...
[20:38:05] <Mido> you work with GIMP?
[20:38:18] <Miranda> me, yes...unfortunately, I don't have photoshop
[20:38:39] <Mido> it's okay
[20:38:57] <Mido> you can give me the file and I can do the Arabic ones if needed
[20:39:27] <Mido> Tarawneh: you're familiar with gimp?
[20:39:47] <Tarawneh> I should be within 24 hrs
[20:39:56] ~kibble brb
[20:39:59] <Tarawneh> no problem
[20:40:14] <Mido> lool, then we have another coordinator here
[20:40:53] <Mido> anyone have comments or suggestion on this?
[20:41:32] <Mido> okay, moving the next point
[20:42:25] <Mido> Website content, anyone from the online team here/
[20:42:31] <TheLetterE> I am
[20:42:35] <TheLetterE> :)
[20:42:42] <Mido>
[20:43:08] <Mido> we need to finalize this, to begin the input of data and structure of the website
[20:43:39] <TheLetterE> ok, i can get started by importing data from meta bid into these pages
[20:43:41] ~kibble is
[20:43:54] <TheLetterE> then we can get someone to finalise them
[20:44:06] Mido [n=chatzill@wikimedia/Mido] has left #wikimania2008
[20:44:11] Mido [n=chatzill@wikimedia/Mido] has joined #wikimania2008
[20:44:36] <Miranda> when is the banner project due?
[20:44:47] <Miranda> and how many do you want?
[20:45:04] <Mido> 15th Feb
[20:45:25] <effeietsanders> Mido: that;s in five days!
[20:45:43] <Mido> and we need only one banner from each, if possible
[20:45:54] <Miranda> for each?
[20:46:10] <Mido> you, and the other (including me!)
[20:46:13] guillom|away [n=guillaum@wikimedia/guillom] has joined #wikimania2008
[20:46:16] <Mido> the others*
[20:46:27] guillom|away [n=guillaum@wikimedia/guillom] is now known as guillom
[20:46:34] <Miranda> what does the text have to say?
[20:46:42] <Miranda> the dates?
[20:47:06] <Mido> I think all should include the dates
[20:47:19] <guillom> sorry for being late ; I won't stay long and I won't bother you much. Do you need any help in making documents, brochures, leaflets, etc. or not yet?
[20:47:31] <Mido> and the tagline for the conference
[20:47:39] <Miranda> I am not want me to make how many gimp files?
[20:47:54] <Mido> guillom: actually we were talking about this
[20:48:01] <Mido>
[20:48:14] <guillom> ah, good
[20:48:34] <Mido> Miranda: one, with dates to be put on the front page
[20:48:50] <guillom> i already have a little database of existing documents, which i made for the foundation
[20:48:51] <Miranda> ah ok 468*60?
[20:49:13] <guillom> i can also use extracts from the press kit, and I still have the press kit from wikimania 2007
[20:49:16] <Mido> that's horizontal, right?
[20:49:27] <Mido> great, we need that press kit
[20:49:40] ~Tarawneh on the phone
[20:49:50] <Mido> can you please put them on wiki?
[20:50:19] <guillom> Mido, the PDF of wikimania 2007 is on its wiki (lemme find the link) and as I'm the one who made it, I have all source files, so I can modify it at will and design the one for wikimania 2008
[20:50:32] Markie996_ [i=Markie@Wikinews/Markie] is now known as Markie996
[20:50:41] <Mido> that would be great, when can we expect this to be done?
[20:51:03] TheLetterE waves to Markie996
[20:51:04] <Mido> 15th of March?
[20:51:22] <kibble> mido / guillom :
[20:51:25] <guillom>
[20:51:29] ~guillom stabs kibble
[20:51:31] <kibble> :-D
[20:51:33] <kibble> pwned :-P
[20:51:35] <Miranda> possible banner?
[20:52:01] <Mido> we have 10 mins to end these 2 points.
[20:52:10] <guillom> Mido, well, that depends on what you want in your press kit ; last year it was finished in july, because it countained a detailed program
[20:52:23] <guillom> Mido, we can do a basic early press kit
[20:52:39] <guillom> and I can design it if i am given the material (text + images)
[20:52:47] <Mido> yes, and add the programme later
[20:52:50] <guillom> yep
[20:53:09] <Mido> Miranda: I like that one, we can make something like this vertical
[20:53:47] <Miranda> I am best with horiz 468 by 60
[20:53:58] <Miranda> or those types
[20:55:11] <Mido> I guess the front banner will need to be a bit taller, same width I think
[20:55:55] <Miranda> I am not really good with vertical banners
[20:56:12] <Miranda> but I can make another one of 100.gif and put the date
[20:56:36] <Mido> I mean sth like
[20:57:03] <Miranda> ah....I see...
[20:57:06] <Miranda> I can make that, easy
[20:59:09] <guillom> easy indeed :D
[20:59:53] <Mido> A dif. idea will be cool too ;)
[20:59:56] <Mido> be creative ;)
[21:00:10] sebmol [n=sebmol@Wikimedia/Sebmol] has quit IRC: Nick collision from services.
[21:00:21] <shipmaster> ok can we move on, we spent a lot of time on this point
[21:00:23] <shipmaster> ?
[21:00:29] <Mido> I will skip the international sponsorship point now
[21:00:42] <Mido> as Delphine is the responsible for this one
[21:00:47] ~Markie996 waves to all
[21:00:53] <Markie996> and appologizes prefusely
[21:01:00] <Markie996> but i had read back to the beggining :-)
[21:01:25] <effeietsanders> ok, website is on the track?
[21:01:29] <Markie996> :-)
[21:01:38] <kibble> effeietsanders: pretty much
[21:01:44] <kibble> we just need the information to put up there :-)
[21:01:45] CraigSpurrier_aw [n=cspurrie@] is now known as CraigSpurrier
[21:02:12] sebmol2 [n=sebmol@Wikimedia/Sebmol] has joined #wikimania2008
[21:02:14] <sebmol2> re
[21:02:14] <Miranda> just someone leave me a reminder on my .en page about the banners and I will see what I can do. Right now I need to go.
[21:02:17] sebmol2 [n=sebmol@Wikimedia/Sebmol] is now known as sebmol
[21:02:19] <Miranda> bye everyone
[21:02:22] Miranda [n=Miranda@wikimedia/Miranda] has left #wikimania2008
[21:02:31] <effeietsanders> kibble: it is clear who writes what when etc?
[21:02:57] <kibble> right now it's basically just we've been creating placeholders :-)
[21:03:03] <Mido> Registration form, I will make a page with the last year form and discuss that better on the list, we have more imp. things to discuss now
[21:03:20] <effeietsanders> ok
[21:03:25] <guillom> Mido, i left you a note in private (you can take a look later)
[21:03:26] <Mido> shipmaster, nichtich and the programme team
[21:04:09] <Mido> Moushira says that a "scientific" is a general term
[21:04:19] <shipmaster> yeah well
[21:04:25] <shipmaster> we should have made that clearer
[21:04:34] <shipmaster> scientific means it will be
[21:04:56] <shipmaster> accepted based on audit/approval by a panel of our choosing
[21:05:33] <shipmaster> and will appear in a special part of the proceedings as refereed
[21:06:06] <shipmaster> anyone can suggest a technical session
[21:06:19] <shipmaster> but to provide a scientific paper, he has to adhere to certain standards
[21:06:20] <Mido> we should publicize the technical track on wikitech-l and other programming-related communites, other than wikimedia also
[21:06:38] <kibble> Mido: pywikipedia-l, wikitech-l, mediawiki-l, wikibots-l?
[21:06:51] <effeietsanders> we should publicize the scientific track to that scientific mailinglist
[21:06:55] <effeietsanders> i dont know where it is
[21:06:57] <effeietsanders> but there is some
[21:07:08] <effeietsanders> wikiresearch or something
[21:07:12] <kibble> oh, I think I know what you're talkign about
[21:07:14] ~root-80686 waves to all and leaves to bed
[21:07:15] <kibble> well, there's a wiki-research-l
[21:07:18] <Mido> kibble: and other , like ubunto for ex
[21:07:24] <kibble> I think we sent the cfp there if not, we should have and I will
[21:07:36] <effeietsanders> kibble: thanks
[21:07:39] <shipmaster> i thought this was clear
[21:07:41] <shipmaster> in the cfp
[21:07:46] <shipmaster> Papers about massively collaborative work, open and free content creation, community dynamics, the social or economic aspects of the Wikimedia projects, and other topics related to Wikimedia projects. Papers submitted to the scientific track will be peer reviewed by a reviewing committee regarding their novelty, rigour, and estimated impact, and accepted or rejected based on these reviews....
[21:07:48] <shipmaster> ...The papers will be published in proceedings afterwards, and depending on the number and the quality of the submissions, a journal special issue may be pursued. Scientific track papers must be in English, and must not exceed 7,500 words (or 15 pages LNCS).
[21:08:55] <Mido> Thanks shipmaster
[21:09:32] <Mido> so now, we have the tasks to publicize cfp, we should send this to every possible direction
[21:09:45] <Mido> please forward!
[21:10:23] <Mido> moving to the schedule, how many session shall we expect (presentation, workshops, etc..)
[21:10:24] <Mido> ?
[21:10:50] <effeietsanders> you mean submissions?
[21:10:55] <effeietsanders> or how many we finally approve?
[21:11:20] <Mido> final, and how many submission if you have estimates
[21:12:17] guillom [n=guillaum@wikimedia/guillom] has quit IRC: "« Bygones! »"
[21:12:43] ~effeietsanders read something about a pre-program? moushira?
[21:12:55] <Mido> pre-program?
[21:12:57] <shipmaster> i dont think that will be decided until after we know how many sumbissions
[21:12:57] <effeietsanders> not here any more
[21:13:00] <effeietsanders> well, outline
[21:13:06] <shipmaster> we have and how much quality
[21:13:07] <effeietsanders> but i might have misunderstood
[21:13:22] <effeietsanders> nod
[21:13:24] <CraigSpurrier> it will depend a lot on how long each session is. A lot of 2007 had two people per block while 2006 did that a lot less
[21:13:48] <effeietsanders> but i think mido wants to know how many rooms he has to reserve?
[21:13:50] <Mido> 30-45 mins I think
[21:13:58] <shipmaster> we already reserved rooms that allow us to have as much as 5 sessions in parallel
[21:14:03] <Mido> yes
[21:14:04] <shipmaster> we already did that ppl
[21:14:08] <effeietsanders> ok
[21:14:18] <Mido> we did a draft for the schedule
[21:14:19] <shipmaster> i dont think this is a pressing issue
[21:14:21] <effeietsanders> i think 45-50 min is ideal in general
[21:14:32] <shipmaster> did we have any submissions yet?
[21:14:36] <effeietsanders> and then we can split up in two
[21:14:41] Greeves|away [n=Greeves@wikimedia/Greeves] is now known as Mitchell
[21:14:42] <effeietsanders> if we have too many interesting sessions
[21:14:43] <Mido> we have 4 I think now
[21:14:50] <shipmaster> cool
[21:14:59] <shipmaster> i think our main issue is speakers
[21:15:01] <Mido> we will reserve the big hall for the whole 3 days
[21:15:04] <Ma7dy> cool
[21:15:06] <shipmaster> we have a lot of suggestions
[21:15:07] ~kibble stabs Mitchell for nickspam and happy birthday's him
[21:15:14] <shipmaster> that we need to shortlist
[21:15:24] <shipmaster> basedon feedback from you about budget, etc
[21:15:32] <Mitchell> kibble:thanks
[21:15:50] <Mido> we've made a draft for 5 keynote speakers, that meean everyone will attened them, noothing beside
[21:16:15] <Mido> so, we need to make 2 lists, one for major keynote which will be given in that time in the big hall
[21:16:18] <effeietsanders> Mido: including opening and closing ceremony?
[21:16:37] <shipmaster> well
[21:16:39] <Mido> and another list for people who will give normal session but invited too
[21:16:44] <shipmaster> ppl who are not major keynotes
[21:16:46] <Mido> effeietsanders: no
[21:16:48] <shipmaster> and invited
[21:16:58] <shipmaster> will still have to be paid for, no?
[21:16:59] <effeietsanders> Mido: so actually seven sessions?
[21:17:00] <shipmaster> so how many total?
[21:17:19] <Mido> effeietsanders: that;s in the big hall alone, 1700 pax
[21:17:35] <effeietsanders> i mean, i guess the opening ceremony will be done by the board chair or so?
[21:17:38] <Mido> I'd 5 more, that totals at 10 speakers
[21:18:02] <effeietsanders> and closing by jimmy or sue?
[21:18:16] <Mido> TBD
[21:18:19] <effeietsanders> (besides the organizers of course)
[21:18:46] <effeietsanders> and then five more sessions full hall, right?
[21:18:55] <Mido> we've made initial estimate as 1100 USD per speaker
[21:18:59] <Mido> would that be enough?
[21:19:16] <effeietsanders> depends on which speakers
[21:19:26] <effeietsanders> speakers coming from middle east will pay less probably
[21:19:33] <effeietsanders> but if we invite 10 americans...
[21:20:44] <Mido> well, I'd say 11000 USD per 10 speakers, you can distribute it as you wish
[21:20:48] <shipmaster> isnt the plane ticket alone from the US ~ 1000$?
[21:21:00] <kibble> -0, Mido :-)
[21:21:08] <kibble> oh nvm
[21:21:09] <effeietsanders> there are currently 17 people on the list
[21:21:19] <Mido> not all of them would yes of course
[21:21:26] <effeietsanders> obviously
[21:21:49] <effeietsanders> but the progcom should just know how much budget there is, then we can determine a distribution
[21:21:56] <effeietsanders> so 1100 * 10
[21:22:02] <Mido> I'd like to include the Indian guy suggested on the list, it would be good to have one from there I think
[21:23:00] <Mido>
[21:23:34] <Mido> anirudhsbh mentioned he have given a good speech on free information in a conf. he atteneded
[21:23:45] Simonfj [n=d23235d2@gateway/web/cgi-irc/] has quit IRC: "CGI:IRC (Ping timeout)"
[21:23:53] <Mido> and anirudhsbh would be our contact point
[21:23:56] <TheLetterE> -> Logs have been posted and are up to date as of 22:22 at
[21:24:49] <effeietsanders> Mido: why exactly would he be interesting to the conference?
[21:25:40] <effeietsanders> i mean, maybe overlooking, but what is his link?
[21:26:02] <Markie996> TheLetterE: its only 21.26 now :-)
[21:26:13] <TheLetterE> Markie996: 21:22***
[21:26:27] <Markie996> :-)
[21:29:15] <TheLetterE> Meeting gone quiet?
[21:29:16] <TheLetterE> :(
[21:29:34] ~Markie996 declares coffee break
[21:29:35] Simonfj [n=3ab25442@gateway/web/cgi-irc/] has joined #wikimania2008
[21:29:48] ~Markie996 is tired, went out last night :-(
[21:30:28] <kibble> TheLetterE: youd on't need to update them *that* much :-P
[21:30:33] <kibble> Mido: where are we on the AGenda?
[21:30:43] <effeietsanders> program stuff
[21:30:45] <TheLetterE> kibble: i love being in the online team xD
[21:30:52] <kibble> :-)
[21:30:57] <kibble> effeietsanders: still? :-)
[21:31:02] ~Markie996 initiates online team huggle :-)
[21:31:10] ~kibble huggles Markie996 and e
[21:31:15] TheLetterE huggles
[21:31:45] ~Tarawneh switches  TheLetterE to thelettere
[21:32:33] <Ma7dy> Mido got disconnected
[21:32:44] <TheLetterE> Thought so
[21:32:49] <Ma7dy> and communicated the rest of the minutes through the phone 
[21:32:54] ~britty_ huggles Ma7dy 
[21:33:28] ~kibble buys Mido a more stable internet connection :-)
[21:33:28] <Ma7dy> is there a time frame to settle on the speakers final list?
[21:33:47] <shipmaster> we should probably discuss it over the program list
[21:33:53] <shipmaster> ahead of the meeting next week
[21:34:03] <shipmaster> and send out invites right after next week's meeting
[21:34:22] <shipmaster> program meeting I mean
[21:34:25] <Ma7dy> good, so by next week the speakers list will be settled 
[21:34:31] <shipmaster> I hope so
[21:34:42] <shipmaster> we needed that piece of info about the budget
[21:34:49] <shipmaster> but nothing else I think now
[21:34:50] <shipmaster> eia?
[21:35:06] <effeietsanders> yes, we should definitely discuss it
[21:35:11] <effeietsanders> we know a budget now
[21:35:16] Az1568 [n=1568@wikimedia/Az1568] has quit IRC: Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)
[21:35:19] <effeietsanders> now we have to work on getting it fixed
[21:35:23] <effeietsanders> but there were more questions
[21:35:29] <shipmaster> ?
[21:35:31] <effeietsanders> like whether we have budget to pay their staing
[21:35:35] <effeietsanders> *staying
[21:35:40] <effeietsanders> I assume we have?
[21:35:49] <effeietsanders> (their hotel etc)
[21:35:54] <shipmaster> i thought 1100 was total budget
[21:35:59] <effeietsanders> ok
[21:36:03] <Ma7dy> me too
[21:36:06] <effeietsanders> we should keep that in mind then
[21:36:21] <shipmaster> well it will balance out
[21:36:24] Az1568 [n=1568@] has joined #wikimania2008
[21:36:25] <shipmaster> since local speakers
[21:36:32] <shipmaster> wont cost us more than 100-200$
[21:36:44] <effeietsanders> nod
[21:36:49] <shipmaster> and speakers from europe will cost less than from the US or Asia
[21:36:56] <shipmaster> so a mix will balance it out
[21:37:09] <effeietsanders> anyway, for each person on the list, we should find out where (s)he lives
[21:37:16] <effeietsanders> so that we can work it out
[21:37:37] <shipmaster> yeah
[21:37:42] <Ma7dy> good
[21:38:14] TheLetterE is from the Aussie land
[21:38:17] <TheLetterE> xD
[21:38:33] <effeietsanders> we also know now that we can promise five of them a full session
[21:38:41] ~effeietsanders checks for other open points
[21:39:03] <Ma7dy> the next point 
[21:39:07] <Ma7dy> the schoolarships
[21:39:25] ~al_tally listens
[21:39:27] <al_tally> intensely
[21:39:49] <effeietsanders> anyone here from the scholarship team?
[21:39:58] <Ma7dy> I think it wasnt constructed 
[21:40:04] <Ma7dy> we need to initiate one
[21:40:25] <sebmol> Mido: did you see my query?
[21:40:51] <Ma7dy> Mido is offline now 
[21:41:22] <sebmol> oh
[21:41:54] <effeietsanders> cary wanted to be a member of that team
[21:41:58] <TheLetterE> sebmol: email is youtr friend
[21:42:01] <effeietsanders> at least, he said in december
[21:42:19] Mido_ [n=chatzill@wikimedia/Mido] has joined #wikimania2008
[21:42:24] <TheLetterE> mido!
[21:42:27] <al_tally> hi Mido_
[21:42:30] <Markie996> i see a mido :-)
[21:42:31] <Ma7dy> mido again
[21:42:39] <Ma7dy> that was clost :)
[21:42:45] <Ma7dy> *close
[21:42:48] <sebmol> he's back
[21:43:08] <effeietsanders> mido: do you know anything about the scholarships?
[21:43:10] <Mido_> I should buy a new router anyway, sorry for this
[21:43:49] <Mido_> we haven't started this yet
[21:43:52] <sebmol> TheLetterE: if there's someone else I can talk to about sponsorships and a bit local information about alexandria, that's fine too
[21:44:02] <TheLetterE> so it isn't egypts internet? we wont have problems with net access during wikimania will we?
[21:44:10] <TheLetterE> sebmol: Talk to Mido_
[21:44:17] <Mido_> I think we can open apply for scholarships by first of march
[21:44:26] <effeietsanders> i think scholarships should start quite fast now
[21:44:28] <effeietsanders> if possible
[21:44:32] <Mido_> no, dun worry about this :)
[21:44:35] <effeietsanders> last year it was too late
[21:44:36] <TheLetterE> xD
[21:44:39] <effeietsanders> prices will rise
[21:45:07] <Mido_> BA has a separate cable (was damaged 10 days ago, but that was really really rare 
[21:45:35] Mido [n=chatzill@wikimedia/Mido] has quit IRC: Nick collision from services.
[21:45:43] Mido_ [n=chatzill@wikimedia/Mido] is now known as Mido
[21:45:58] root-80686 [n=manuel@wikipedia/root-80686] has quit IRC: "Leaving."
[21:46:09] <Mido> Tarawneh: you said you will be serving on this committee?
[21:46:31] <effeietsanders> Mido: i think cary also wanted to be on that committee
[21:46:32] <Tarawneh> yes I did and I was waiting for your email 
[21:46:54] <shipmaster> yeah the damage 10 days ago wasnt in Egypt only, it was from Egypt till India and affected 70 million users :(
[21:46:55] <Mido> okay, and I think phoebe too
[21:47:14] <Mido> it was a disaster indeed
[21:47:24] <Ma7dy> a new additional cable is underconstruction
[21:47:25] <sebmol> Mido: i wanted to talk to you about sponsorships whenever you have a minute please
[21:47:30] <Mido> anyone else want to participate in thatjob :)
[21:48:24] ~kibble pm'ed mido
[21:48:56] <sebmol> which job?
[21:49:07] <shipmaster> scholarship com
[21:49:08] <Mido> okay, a post on wikimania-planning-l I think will be useful too for sure
[21:49:09] <kibble> scholarship committee?
[21:49:14] <Mido> yes
[21:49:47] <Tarawneh> I get the emails
[21:49:52] <Tarawneh> but can;t log into it
[21:50:06] <Mido> you can request a new pass I think
[21:50:26] <TheLetterE> which also reminds me Mido, can I get access to team wiki?
[21:50:34] <TheLetterE> or is that closed to the 'team'
[21:50:40] <kibble> TheLetterE: pm works :-)
[21:50:50] <TheLetterE> it does xD
[21:51:02] <Mido> Tarawneh: you have access to team wiki?
[21:51:35] <Tarawneh> hmmm
[21:51:36] <Mido> if yes, you'll find lots of materials regarding scholarships, I will try to send them to you soon
[21:51:48] <kibble> I think it's at 2007/Scholarships
[21:52:27] <Mido> and phoebe and Cary will surely have more experience with that, and I would be participating a bit on this, regarding budget and so
[21:53:52] ~kibble nods
[21:54:18] <Mido> moving to the next point
[21:54:27] <Mido> conference materials
[21:54:52] <Mido> anyone have photos of samples for bags, folders, IDs, distributed last year?
[21:55:14] <Mido> or should we contact last year team directly?
[21:55:44] <effeietsanders> contact the team i'd say
[21:55:48] <effeietsanders> is the easiest
[21:55:55] <effeietsanders> i have some stuff here still
[21:56:02] <effeietsanders> but not sure if it is complete etc
[21:56:20] <Mido> okay
[21:56:28] <kibble> yes, titan is very helpful, I'm sure he'll help you mido :-)
[21:56:36] <Mido> last point, parties
[21:56:37] <TheLetterE> sounds good
[21:56:38] <effeietsanders> if he's got time :P
[21:56:40] <Mido> I'm sure he's :)
[21:56:58] <Mido> The casual party, how many attended last year?
[21:57:10] <effeietsanders> i guess like 75%?
[21:57:16] <Mido> this year we plan to do it in open air, would that be a problem?
[21:57:16] <effeietsanders> very rough guess
[21:57:20] <TheLetterE> about that
[21:57:22] ~Markie996 has links to all the old passes somewhere
[21:57:27] <Markie996> and photos of shirts etc
[21:57:39] <TheLetterE> Mido, can't see how
[21:57:40] <effeietsanders> in egypt i think open air might be fine, but that'll be up to you guys to find out
[21:57:46] <Mido> Markie996: that would be helpful 
[21:57:49] <al_tally> Mido: open air would be cool
[21:57:54] <effeietsanders> Mido: last time there was a movie etc on the party
[21:57:59] ~Markie996 goes to see if he can find them again
[21:58:01] <effeietsanders> i personally did not like it, but others did
[21:58:12] <TheLetterE> we just need someone with a video camera xD
[21:58:12] <Mido> we can set up big screens, projectors
[21:58:13] <effeietsanders> but there should be something to *do* there
[21:58:20] <kibble> Markie996: somewhere in here? :-)
[21:58:48] <Markie996> possiblyh
[21:58:56] <effeietsanders> Mido: in 2006 it was in the MIT museum, i think that was a very cool party
[21:58:59] <Markie996> i think there may have been a seperate cat
[21:59:14] <effeietsanders> try to come up with something like that, where people dont get bored
[21:59:27] <effeietsanders> not per se museum
[21:59:32] <Mido> a wiki page for wishlist would be cool, I will start this one
[21:59:35] <effeietsanders> just something interesting :)
[21:59:48] <Mido> last thing, VIP party, how many people too?
[22:00:17] <effeietsanders> last year all sponsors: chapter reps and board reps and local team
[22:00:17] <Mido> we've fixed a place for about 30-40
[22:00:22] <Mido> would that be enough?
[22:00:35] <TheLetterE> i believe so
[22:00:49] <kibble> hmm, I don't think so
[22:00:55] <effeietsanders> but i'd say, discuss that with the wmf
[22:01:02] <effeietsanders> and see how many sponsors you get/
[22:01:04] <effeietsanders> ?
[22:01:22] <TheLetterE> it would depend on the number of sponsors, yes
[22:01:30] <Mido> never mind this then now
[22:01:34] <effeietsanders> and who you want there
[22:01:55] <Mido> I would say the meeting is over, any further comments or questions from anyone?
[22:02:11] <effeietsanders> next one?
[22:02:11] <sebmol> just my thing about sponsorships
[22:02:22] <kibble> effeietsanders: we have 12 chapters, 15 staffers... that's 27 right there :-)
[22:02:34] <Mido> okay, next meeting
[22:02:35] <effeietsanders> kibble: not all will be there
[22:02:43] <kibble> effeietsanders: that's good :-)
[22:02:45] <effeietsanders> dont forget sebmol :)
[22:02:45] <Mido> next sunday, morning maybe?
[22:03:03] <effeietsanders> next week: general or program?
[22:03:08] <TheLetterE> fine with me, buyt i gotta run now!!
[22:03:16] <shipmaster> we are having program on weekend too Mido
[22:03:19] <TheLetterE> xD
[22:03:25] <shipmaster> why dont you make general the week afteR?
[22:03:33] <Mido> okay, end logging now E
[22:03:39] <TheLetterE> ===== logging finishes =====