Local information/Regulations and Customs
Wikitravel Press has created the official Wikimania 2008 travel guide to Cairo and Alexandria. The guide is licensed under Creative Commons by-sa 1.0, and it's available for your reading and editing pleasure at the Wikitravel website:
Alexandria - Cairo (including the Pyramids) - Egypt reference - Egyptian Arabic phrasebook
Printed copies of the June guidebook will be distributed on site (while supplies last), but those wanting to grab a copy before the conference can buy it online (US$11.99) — new July version now available. Take a look at the Alexandria sample chapter (PDF, 6.3 MB) to see what it looks like!
Any changes made now will be integrated into the next edition. You can help make it the best guide there can be!
When you update the content below, please add all your comments on Wikitravel too!
|Main Page||Weather||Health, safety, and Accessibility||Financial||Regulations and Customs||Units of measurement||Electricity||Embassies||Time||Communications||General Conversation|
- Air way bill.
- Passport (original) with entry stamp and residence/working visa valid for a minimum of 3 months.
- Keys for any automobile or any locked baggage/items.
- Typed Inventory (Egyptian Customs do not accept hand written inventories).
- All household goods and personal effects are subject to full physical inspection by customs authorities except for full diplomatic shipments.
- Used household goods and personal effects can be imported duty free for expatriates working for governmental or the private sector under the terms of temporary admission and subject to full exportation by providing a letter of guarantee. This is only granted if the consignee provides a working visa valid for a minimum of 3 months.
- Used household goods and personal effects can be imported duty free for Diplomats.
- Video tapes, computer disks, cassette tapes, CD's, DVD's, Records, and slides.
- Printers, scanners, fax machines, copiers, and satellite receivers require additional approval by the Ministry of Interior.
- High value works of art including statues and paintings will be examined by a special committee for evaluation purposes.
- Pornographic Materials.
- Drugs and medicine.
- Firearms and weapons, ammunition, daggers and swords (even as decorative items).
- All motor vehicles are subject to duties and taxes. The motor vehicle must be brand new, a product of the same year as import and the consignee must be the first owner.
- Motor vehicles can be imported duty free for Diplomats and Expatriates working under the Egyptian Government Sector who must guarantee re-exportation of the vehicle. In these circumstances the vehicle is not required to be new.
Animals and Pets
Animals and pets can be imported into Egypt by providing a health condition certificate and a vaccination certificate from a registered veterinarian together with the original passport of the owner.